How to Save the Environment!
Many People believe that Allah and the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) did not speak about the environment and climate change, but this is untrue. Our relationship with nature is a very important part of Islam. We are the caretakers of this earth. This is a trust Allah has given us and we have not been doing a very good job at protecting it.
Corruption has appeared on earth and at sea because of what the hands of men have wrought; in order that God may make them taste the consequences of their actions; so that they might return. (Qur’an 30:41)
There are many things that we can do to save the environment.
Please help and think about us kids, our future depends on it.
Here are 10 things that we can start doing today, Insha’Allah.
1. The three R`s: Recycle, Reduce and Reuse
- Recycling has become easier to do now that we have a recycle bin or a blue bin outside our homes.
- There is a formula we use in our house to reduce our waste. Next time you go to purchase something think about three things: Do I need it? Do I have space for it? How will it affect the environment if it ends up in a landfill?
- Reuse instead of keeping things that are not used or worn. Give them to someone who could use them or give them to charity. We need to be responsible consumers. Not everything is a need.
“O children of Adam, take your adornment at every masjid, and eat and drink, but be not excessive. Indeed, He likes not those who commit excess.” (Qur’an 7:31)
2. Plant more trees and use less paper
- This will encourage growth, repair, and clean the air.
- By using less paper the need for it will go down resulting in less trees being cut down.
Anas (RA) reported that the Prophet SAW said, “If a Muslim plants a tree or sows seeds, and then a bird, or a person or an animal eats from it, it is regarded as a charitable gift (sadaqah) for him.”
3. Don’t use cars for short distances and carpool.
- Cars are harmful, because of their emissions and cause air pollution and weaken the ozone layer.
- The extraction methods of Oil (used to create fuel for our cars) are dangerous for the environment.
- Many people say that Allah does not talk about the ozone layer in the Qur’an, but in this ayah He does:
And We made the sky a protected ceiling (canopy), but they, from its signs, are turning away.” (Qur’an 21:32)
4. Save water
- Water is quickly becoming scarce and undrinkable in many parts of the world.
- We should learn to conserve water as much as possible.
- The Prophet (SAW) used to use less then 0.5 liters of water for wudu.
- As Muslims, we should not let water run. Soaping the dishes up while the water is off, not taking long baths, and collecting rain water and snow to water our gardens in the hot summer months are just some small examples of how we can conserves water, Insha’Allah.
The Prophet (SAW) said, “Even if there is a flowing stream, still don’t waste water.”(Muslim)
5. Consume less energy
- Use less heating and air conditioning. When it is Winter put a sweater on and in the Summer open the windows.
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use
- Dry your clothing on a line inside and outside
- These are simple tips, but will go a long way!
“We have not created the heavens and the earth and all that is between them carelessly. We have not created them but for truth.” (Quran 44:38-39)
6. Eat more vegetables and less meat
- Cows release a large amount of methane gas and it is more damaging to the ozone layer than Carbon Dioxide. Did you know that the amount damage from the methane gas released to make just a 1\2 pound burger is equivalent to a lightbulb being lit for 200 hours! Subhan’Allah, now imagine the gravity of what that means.
- We should also fast more like the Prophet Muhammad SAW, who used to fast on Mondays and Thursdays, Insha’Allah.
- The Western world are some of the largest consumers in the world, but we are also the largest population to waste food. This is unacceptable, especially since there are many people who are starving across the planet.
- Consuming less will reduce waste and pollution. It will also give the earth more time to heal, resulting in a better climate, so that food production can become easier in areas where weather patterns have made growing food almost impossible.
- Islam teaches us to care about humanity and the coming generations, so we must reverse the damage we have done and make sure that we are leaving this world in better shape then when we came into it.
“Eat and drink from the provision of Allah, and do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption.” (Qur’an, 2:60)
7. Use biodegradable products
- Use products and packaging that break down easily.
- Did you know that a single water bottle could take more than 500 years to break down?
- One million marine animals die every year, because of the plastic in the ocean.
- There is an island in the ocean that is made up entirely of garbage and is larger than the state of Texas!
- We are in an environmental crisis and we are not paying enough attention, Subhan ’Allah.
“…So… let them taste part of (the consequences of) what they have done that perhaps they will return (to righteousness).” (Qur’an 30:41)
8. Come back to a natural way of life
- We must live so that we are not dependent on artificial things and live a more healthy life.
- We should try to grow our own fruits and vegetables and buy less packaged snacks, like juice boxes for example. The carton is harmful to the Environment, as it takes 3 months to break down and is packed with sugar.
- Power plants and factories create pollution in the air, land, and water.
- We must fix what is broken and make sure that we protect what is left. This is our job from Allah.
“And it is He (God) who has made you successors (khala’ifa) upon the earth and has raised some of you above others in degrees [of rank] that He may try you through what He has given you. Indeed, your Lord is swift in penalty; but indeed, He is Forgiving and Merciful.” (Qur’an 6:165).
9. Tell people about climate change
- Know and discuss the facts, so that people are aware, and we all make better decisions.
- If more people know about climate change, then we can support each other and also have more people thinking about new and exciting ideas to help!
“By time, Indeed, mankind is in loss, Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience.” (Qur’an 103:1-3)
10. Turn back to Allah
- We should attach ourselves to the Qur’an and Sunnah to seek guidance and help.
- Allah explains everything in the Qur’an of how we can help the Earth and ourselves, as you can see from all the verses I found. There are many more, Alhamdulillah.
- We just need to be those that ask Him and look for His signs, Insha’Allah. He can change everything and heal this Earth in a blink of an eye, we just have to become the people that deserve it, are thankful, and act right like He wants.
“It is Allah who made for you the earth a place of settlement and the sky a ceiling and formed you and perfected your forms and provided you with good things. That is Allah, your Lord; then blessed is Allah , Lord of the worlds.” (Qur’an, 40:64)
If we make these simple changes, we will help the environment.
- This is Allah’s creation and a trust we have been given. Please make changes and help to protect it and our future.
Ali ibn Abi Talib (RA) said about the land: “Partake of it gladly, so long as you are a benefactor, not a despoiler; a cultivator, not a destroyer.”
May Allah always guide us and make it easy for us, Ameen.
“And it is He who sends the winds as good tidings before His mercy until, when they have carried heavy rainclouds, we drive them to a dead land, and We send down rain therein and bring forth thereby [some] of all the fruits. Thus will We bring forth the dead; perhaps you may be reminded.” (Qur’an 7:57)
Want to know more about the environment and climate change?
Check out these Documentaries:
To know more about our diet and more natural way of eating watch these:
These can all be found online and on your media platforms.